The Astronomical Society of Edinburgh had the use of the City Observatory from 1938 to 2008, and had met regularly at the Calton Hill since 1953. Unfortunately, in the years leading up to our departure, vandalism had caused so much damage to the buildings and fittings that we had to recognise that the site was no longer usable.
It is with great reluctance that the Council of the Society took the decision to move our meetings and to remove all our property. We hope that the City of Edinburgh Council will manage to restore the site to something approaching its earlier glory when it was quite rightly awarded Listed status and that the Society may, some day, have renewed access to what was once one of the country’s premier civic observatories.
The Society produced a short Guide to the City Observatory.