Application for Memberhip

The objects of the Society are “to advance the education of the public about astronomy … chiefly in Edinburgh and its neighbourhood”.

Please fill in the form below and either send payment to the Treasurer (address within the PDF application form) or hand it in to him at a Society meeting. (We will soon have PayPal online payments setup.)

Ordinary MemberConcessionary Member (Pensioner, Student or Unwaged)Junior Member (under 18) ─ please give date of birth:

Subscription Rates (until 31 Dec 2019)

Full rate Concessionary and Junior
New Applicants October to March for period to September (6 to 12 months) £25 £12
New Applicants April to September for period to September of the following year (12 to 18 months) £25 £12
Members renewing for period October to September (12 months) £25 £12



The Constitution of the Society may be inspected at any Ordinary Meeting, usually on the first Friday of the month, or read in full on this website.

We would encourage prospective members who are under 18 or who do not live in the Edinburgh area to speak to one of the Society’s Council members after a meeting of the Society before submitting an application for membership.

People under 18 may apply for Junior Membership. (Unless there are exceptional circumstances, we are unlikely to accept applications from those under 16.)

Election of Members rests with the Council of the Society subject to confirmation by the Society in General Meeting. Please not that your application cannot be processed until you have signed the application form and sent payment.

The Society’s membership records are stored on computer. By applying, prospective members are taken to consent to this.

Gift Aid Notes

  1. You may cancel this declaration at any time by notifying the Charity;
  2. You must pay an amount of UK income tax and/or capital gains tax at least equal to the tax that the Charity reclaims on your donations in the tax year (since 6 April 2011, 25p for each £1 you give);
  3. If in future your circumstances change and you no longer pay tax on your income and capital gains at least equal to the tax that the charity reclaims, you may cancel your declaration (see note 1);
  4. If you pay tax at the higher rate you can claim further tax relief in your Self Assessment Tax Return;
  5. If you are unsure whether your donations qualify for Gift Aid Tax Relief, contact HM Revenue & Customs;
  6. Please notify the Charity if you change your name or address