Nov 2018: METI Messaging to Extraterrestrial Intelligences – Dr Alan Penny
November 2 @ 7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Dr Alan Penny, University of St Andrews
The Primary Objectives And Purposes Of METI International Are To:
- Conduct scientific research and educational programs in Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligence (METI) and the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI).
- Promote international cooperation and collaboration in METI, SETI, and astrobiology.
- Understand and communicate the societal implications and relevance of searching for life beyond Earth, even before detection of extraterrestrial life.
- Foster multidisciplinary research on the design and transmission of interstellar messages, building a global community of scholars from the natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, and arts.
- Research and communicate to the public the many factors that influence the origins, evolution, distribution, and future of life in the universe, with a special emphasis on the last three terms of the Drake Equation: (1) the fraction of life-bearing worlds on which intelligence evolves, (2) the fraction of intelligence-bearing worlds with civilizations having the capacity and motivation for interstellar communication, and (3) the longevity of such civilizations.
- Offer programs to the public and to the scholarly community that foster increased awareness of the challenges facing our civilization’s longevity, while encouraging individual and community activities that support the sustainability of human culture on multigenerational timescales, which is essential for long-term METI and SETI research.