We had over 100 people again and a very interesting talk from Dr Alexander Mackinnon of the University of Glasgow on CTR Wilson and cosmic rays, describing how this branch of high-energy astrophysics can be traced back to the Scottish highlands.
Also at the meeting:
- President Andrew Farrow welcomed 8 new members to the Society
- Horst Myerdierks gave an overview of the what’s in the sky for April
- Peter Black gave an update on the Charles Piazzi Smyth exhibition and 200th anniversary celebrations
- Andrew described the visit to the St Andrews Observatory by some members
- He also covered the auctioning of the Lorimer Chairs left to the Society by John Henry Lorimer – which no longer had a home. These have now been sold.
- Andrew talked about some recent news in the fields of astronomy and space
- Ken Thomas talked about the past and future of the Cooke telescope on Calton Hill
- The Charles Piazzi Smyth video was shown at the end. You can find it on the homepage of the Piazzi Smyth website
- The April Imaging Group meeting has been cancelled as quite a few of the members can’t make it