We had a good start to the new season of ASE monthly meetings on Friday 7th September, with a fascinating talk by Dr. John Lightfoot of the ROE on Hubble’s Variable Nebula.
Before the meeting, former President Seán Wixted handed over the medal of office to new President Andrew Farrow. Andrew becomes the 48th President of the ASE. Have a look at the list of distinguished past Presidents of the ASE from 1924 onwards.
Also at the meeting:
- Welcome to 2 new members and any visitors, of which there were quite a few.
- An introduction to the new ASE website by Mark Phillips.
- After the main talk, Alan Pickup gave his guide to the night sky in September.
- Seán Wixted covered various events that may happen over the next year, including a proposal to take part in celebrations to mark the 200th anniversary of the birth of Charles Piazzi Smyth.
- Andrew Farrow introduced a suggestion for a telescope “help shop” in February 2019, after people have bought new Christmas telescopes.
- Andrew also introduced some ideas for expanding the format of our monthly meetings.
- Hugh Somerville gave a presentation with pictures on some of his current interests.